Liquid Polysaccharide Iron Supplement
Green Apple Flavour
- A liquid iron delivered in a polysaccharide-iron complex (PIC), a form that is extremely well-tolerated, safe and highly bioavailable
- Indicated for those with iron-deficient anemia, low ferritin and associated symptoms of fatigue, hair loss, poor cognition, low mood, weakened immunity and hormonal imbalances
- 20mg of elemental iron per teaspoon, allowing for gradual and targeted dosing
- Natural green apple flavoured
- Bioavailability: PIC is considered to be one of the most bioavailable vegan forms of iron, with an absorption rate somewhere between 10-60% depending on individual iron status.
- Tolerability and Safety: Given the non-ionic nature of a PIC, Bio-Ferra is extremely well-tolerated in the gastrointestinal tract and does not tend to cause digestive upset or constipation at recommended dosing. PIC is also remarkably non-toxic. PIC has a LD50 (“Lethal Dose 50”) of 5,000mg/kg, an extremely high safety profile and low toxicity potential compared to iron salts with a LD50 of only 200-600mg/kg.
- Dosing: Each teaspoon (5ml) of Bio-Ferra provides 20mg of elemental iron, making it one of the most concentrated liquid iron supplements on the market. 1-2 teaspoons per day is the recommended dosage for adults, although greater doses can be used depending on clinical circumstances and digestive tolerability.
- Populations: Bio-Ferra is suitable for vegan and vegetarian populations, and it is guaranteed gluten, soy and dairy-free.
- Flavour: Bio-Ferra is naturally sweetened with xylitol and a green apple flavour to improve patient compliance.
- Bottle Size: Bio-Ferra is provided in a 300ml bottle to offer 60 servings/bottle.
- Special Considerations: There is concern that liquid iron supplements can temporarily stain teeth. For this reason, it is recommended that patients either use a straw to consume the product or simply rinse their mouth with water after use.
- Alternative Options: For patients that are not interested in a liquid iron supplement, consider Iron-Matrix, 20mg of iron bis-glycinate with magnesium, vitamin C, copper and B-vitamins in each vegetable capsule
- Vegan. GMO, gluten, soy and dairy free.
Iron continues to be the most common nutrient deficiency in the developed world, with an especially high prevalence in women and during pregnancy. In fact, 1 out of every 2 women will be iron-deficient at one point in their lives and even more suffer from symptoms associated with suboptimal iron levels. Although fatigue, weakness, hair loss and pallor are classic symptoms of irondeficiency anemia, low iron levels affect many other body systems.
For example, iron deficiency has been found to be a common cause of restless syndrome in approximately 1 out of every 4 cases and supplemental iron can improve symptoms. This is thought to be achieved by iron’s upregulation of dopamine synthesis from tyrosine. It is also welldocumented that children and adults perform poorer on mental function tests in states of iron deficiency, with areas such as attention, memory and concentration being affected.
Iron also plays a critical role in many hormonal pathways. Iron is required for thyroid conversion from thyroxine (T4) to triiodothyronine (T3) and, in cases of hypothyroidism with concomitant iron deficiency, combination treatment with iron and levothyroxine has been shown to be superior over each therapy alone. In women with heavy menstrual bleeding, iron deficiency can cause a recurring state of heavy menstrual bleeding through weakened uterine muscles, thereby exacerbating the condition. Evidence also shows that woman with unexplained infertility and suboptimal iron status may benefit from iron restoration therapy.
Finally, iron is needed for proper immune function through cytokine production in macrophages and an iron-deficient state may lead to an insufficient immune response. For example, research in individuals with oral candidiasis has shown that iron restoration can lower salivary candida counts and reduce oral lesions.
Despite all of the health benefits that come with targeted supplemental iron, many women and iron-deficient individuals are hesitant to supplement with iron or they become noncompliant due to digestive side effects such as constipation, nausea and stomach upset.
Cyto-Matrix’s Bio-Ferra is a highly bioavailable liquid iron supplement containing a polysaccharide iron complex (PIC). PIC is unique in that it is non-ionic, it does not require vitamin C for absorption and it is extremely safe with a LD50 (Lethal Dose 50) of 5,000mg/kg, compared to the toxicity potential of iron salts with a LD50 of only 230mg/kg. Each teaspoon of Bio-Ferra provides 20mg of elemental iron that is flavoured with natural green apple and is suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
|Iron (polysaccharide-iron complex)||20mg|
Unit of Measure above: Each teaspoon (5ml)
Purified water, xylitol, natural green apple flavour, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, stevia.]
Take 1-2 teaspoons per day with food or as directed by a healthcare professional. Take a few hours before or after taking other medications. Shake before use. Refrigerate after opening.
A factor in the maintenance of good health. Helps in the formation and proper function of red blood cells.
Do not use if safety seal is broken. Keep out of reach of children. There is enough drug in this package to seriously harm a child.
Known Adverse Reactions
Some people may experience constipation, diarrhea and/or vomiting.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
The product information on this website may not be 100% accurate. Please ensure to check the product packaging information before consumption, especially if you have allergies or other health conditions.
Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product.